I eat a lot of onions. I mean, I seriously eat an onion at a time. Maybe even two a day. Many people think I’m weird but I looked up the health benefits and it makes me feel vindicated.
Health Benefits of Onions
- Help fight symptoms of the common cold/flu and cough
- fight cholesterol by decreasing dangerous lipids in the blood
- high in folic acid, vitamin B and K
- contain anticancer properties specifically stomach, liver and colon
- high in iron which helps enemia
- it’s an inti-inflammatory
- helps to treat diabetes by improving the glucose/insulin balance
And so much more. Thank goodness I eat so many of them! I figure that’s why I’m so friggin’ healthy…..or it could be my good genes. I’ll say that at least it has to do some help.
I like onions raw or cooked but in general I sautee them with a little ‘butter’ and salt. My fav combo is to put them over a baked potato with some hot sauce and a side salad.
For about a half a bag of cranberries I used two tablespoons brown sugar and added some blackberries for an extra layer of flavor! It was delicious. If you like a slightly sweeter taste I suggest adding more sugar.
I can’t wait to photograph all the food I’m making tomorrow and share all the recipes. I haven’t made any of them yet because I’ve been so darned busy! Being a mom and having company around makes life full of good times but also keeps me from the kitchen.
Happy Thanksgiving all. I hope you’re spending an amazing food holiday with the ones you love being thankful for whatever good things are in your life.